Chonburi: Chonburi eased into the quarter-finals of the AFC Cup with a convincing 3-0 win over Sriwijaya at a sodden Chonburi Stadium.

Ney Fabiano opened the scoring for the hosts after 17 minutes and Therdsak Chaiman then doubled the lead just before the half-hour mark from the spot. Natthapong Samana completed the scoring with seven minutes to go.

Chonburi dominated possession in the first-half and peppered the Sriwijaya goal with a number of attempts.

They took an early lead when a free-kick floated over the Sriwijaya backline saw Phasian Pona contest a 50-50 ball with Sriwijaya keeper Ferry Rotinsulu.

Phasian reached the ball first but also received a punch in the head for his trouble but his sacrifice allowed Fabiano to nod home inside the six-yard box.

Rendy Siregar provided most of Sriwijaya’s attacking threat in the opening period as his foraging runs down the right won a number of corners for his side that the visitors were unable to take advantage of.

Chonburi then doubled their lead in the 29th minute when striker Pipob On-mo was dragged down in the box and midfielder Therdsak Chaiman coolly converted the resultant penalty.

Sinthaweechai Hathairatthanakool then endured a nervous moment 10 minutes later when a wayward long pass was allowed to run through to the Chonburi keeper but due to the sodden pitch, almost did not make it into the 18-yard box for him to pick up.

Sriwijaya had a hard time keeping possession in the second-half and with a two-goal lead, Chonburi often looked content to sit back and wait for the counter-attack.

The Sharks spurned another great chance in the 50th minute when Anucha Kitpongsri’s deft cross found Pipob but his shot from eight yards was deflected behind for a corner.

Chonburi kept the pressure on and Arthit Sunthornphit was allowed a clear sight of goal from 20 yards out in the 58th minute but shot straight at the keeper. A minute later Suree Sukha produced a clever stepover to create some space but Rotinsulu parried his effort.

Chonburi remained on top and in the 78th minute, Natthaphong picked up a perfectly-weighted ball down the left side, sidestepped his man and had only the keeper to beat but failed to take advantage.

Five minutes later, though, he made amends after Jetsadakorn Hemdaeng beat the offside trap and his free header was turned into the net by Natthaphong.

Source :